We made it home on Sunday after a very long day of travel. I think the actual travel time was tripled in "how it felt" time knowing we were going to see the girls. I truly felt like I just couldn't wait (and Kevin felt the same). I just wanted to be home. It seemed to take forever.
And, man, the hugs we each got when we walked in the door were everything we could have hoped for! Zoey didn't want to let go and just snuggled into both of us - arms wrapped tightly, her face nuzzled into the crook of our necks. She needed to see her Mommy and Daddy...as did Kaia. A huge smile took over her face when she saw us and she only wanted to cuddle, too. We were all bursting with happiness to be together again.
So...we're one step closer to calling Italy our home. I will say, I left feeling good. I left feeling like it was actually possible and that we'd be ok. That's not to say it will be easy! Boy, it will be far from easy. I think our area is more different than I thought it would be, so the adjustment is huge.
Everything is old - like a scene-from-a-movie old. Our town, Chieri, is pretty small but has Italian cafes and gelato shops that we'll become regulars at, I'm sure. Some of the buildings look like a movie set and the churches are impressive. The streets are truly cobblestone...oh, if only they could talk!
Towns are crowded...either with buildings or people (Torino) or both. There isn't the space that I am used to nor the type of "green" I am used to. Mammas bring their kids to the "park" and it is a small space with VERY old play things (maybe a metal slide and a set of swings) - and weeds. There isn't the grass or the lawns that Americans value...just weeds that grow a foot high until they are mowed (usually only a few times per year, we're told). It's a change.
The country is poor. Unemployment is high and it is rising. The cost of living is expensive. Those two facts don't mix well.
BUT, the Italians that we met were beyond friendly. Waiters and waitresses, bar owners, our real estate agent...they all welcomed us and did their best to leave us with a good impression. They kiss cheeks, they describe with their hands, and they smile -- sometimes that is the only way to communicate. Learning - and USING - the language are going to be very important!
Living in Italy will not be Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous...no "champagne wishes and cavier dreams". It will, however, be The Real World. Real people, real food, real "old world" charm. I think that is part of what intrigues me. It is what will change us and humble us and make us better people. It will make us stronger.
Lastly...SAVORING. What did I savor this past week???
Red wine.
Homemade pasta.
Sleeping through the night and getting ready without little ones begging for my attention.
Time with Kevin.
Walking through beautiful streets at night.
Meeting new people...and being welcomed into a family of families that made my heart happy each time we were with them.
Gelato.
Good feelings that eased a few anxieties.
The rolling hill views of wine country.
And the VERY, VERY best...the warm-your-soul hugs from my two favorite little girls yesterday.
No comments:
Post a Comment